It’s time to de-winterize your boat!
Spring is just around the corner and it’s almost time to uncover the boat and take her out. There is nothing worse than turning the key and…rrr..rrr..rrr…and nothing. If your boat’s been sitting a while, it’s time to de-winterize before setting out on the first trip of the season.
Here’s a pre-launch checklist to get your boat ready for the boating season…
- Battery Inspection – Make sure the terminals are not corroded. If so, wipe them clean. Check the volts and amps with a battery tester.
- Fuel System – Make sure the fuel line is attached and not cracked. Change the fuel filter.
- Oil Check – It’s time to change the oil if you didn’t do it at the end of the season last year. Change the oil filter too.
- Belts – Make sure the belts are tight. If not tight, they will wear faster and may slip. If they don’t fit tightly in the pulley groove, they may be worn out and need to be replaced. Usually the alternator belt wears faster than the others.
- Distributor – Corrosion may have occurred during the winter. Take the distributor cap off and clean it out. Make sure all connections are restored.
Other Things to Check..
- Change the spark plugs
- Check all hoses
- Check power steering/cables
- Test the bilge pump
- Check rudder and shafts
- Inspect the prop
- Test the horn
- Test the VHF radio
- Inspect personal flotation devices
- Check the fire extinguisher expiration date
This is just a general list of things to do to get your boat ready. It’s always a good idea to check your owners manual for a complete list for your specific boat.
Have a safe boating season!